Tear in conjunctiva

Types of implants and problems with implants.

Tear in conjunctiva

Unread post by Hopegeorgia » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:12 am

Our 9 year old son developed a tear in the conjunctiva covering his coral implant. His right eye was enucleated 1/5/06 - prosthesis was created and fitted 2/21-22/06 - surgery to repair tear 3/23/06. The tear was patched using a graft from his left hip. The implant looked good and it now seems to be the continued waiting as his body accepts the implant. He'll need to go without his prosthesis for the next month as things heal. Just curious if others have had similair experiences. As Ethan (our remarkable 9 year old) is quoted, "Dad, it's just another bump in the road." Thanks for your help.

Unread post by Marmalade » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Oh yes, I've had several ops to repair conjunctival defects and am about to have another or at least to go on the waiting list for another. Last time I had donor sclera used to repair it. I am seeing the consultant next month to hear what she suggests this time. Last time it was good for 3 or 4 years, I forget just how long ago it was.

After each op I have used one of the temporary shell prostheses until a new eye can be made. I am hoping to go this way again and am going to ask for my temp one to be refitted before the op as it no longer fits properly.

Good luck to your son. Hope it works for him and lasts.

Unread post by Teka » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm

I think i have had a similar operation. Is it a tear in the tissue covering the coral implant.??

I had the tissue graft removed from the roof of my mouth (twice) and now everything is apparently good.

Your son sounds like a little battler. BEst of luck to you all.

Lost right eye in 2000.