Anyone who has a coral eye

Types of implants and problems with implants.

Anyone who has a coral eye

Unread post by Kindrick » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:52 am

Do you like them?
Is there a better choice?
Do they have alot of problems?
Can you take them out?
Any thing you can tell me I have until April 28th to make up all my mind about this.

Unread post by Teka » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:55 am

Thecoral eyes are great.
You dont actually take the coral impant out, as it is attached to your muscles, and moves like a real eyeball. You can take the prosthesis out from on top of the coral implant.

The tissues that surround the coral impant, weave through the implant (as it is coral and there are voids for the tissue to grow into. This gives more movement of the implant.

Does this help??

Problems vary on the individual and body. It depends on circumstance. Good luck, you have a support network here for you if you decide to go with it.

Lost right eye in 2000.

Unread post by Marmalade » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:35 pm

It seems to me that there are two choices, the coral implant of the man-made version which is usually called Medpor. Both are superior to the acrylic because the tissue and blood vessels grow into it keeping it in place. I don't think infection is a particular problem with either of them.

As Teka says you don't take the implant out. After the socket has healed, an eye will be made which goes in front of the implant to match the other eye. That is the bit that you can take out. It sounds scary but when it's all healed and you're used to it, it really isn't.

Good luck.

Unread post by Navig8r » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:17 pm

Never had any problems... my enucleation was Oct.,1999. I dont know if any new options are better.. thats a ?? for a doctor or two.
Before my surgery, this site did not exist.... I found a lot of helpful info on another site.. try this link for lots of info...

Good luck with all.... I can say that I really am happy with the implant/prosthesis/procedure.. it looks good (better than my 'real' eye ever did) and gives me no problems.

I dont have a peg, but I've been told that implants with a peg are more prone to infection, cysts, etc....

Unread post by RHunter104 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:12 pm

I got the Med-Por implant. My surgery was toward the end of July of last year. So far, I've had no problems with it. My doctor recommended the Med-Por over the Bio-Eye. He said there were less problems with it. I think it just depends on which doctor you go to and which one that they prefer to use. The first doctor I went to liked the Bio-Eye but he wasn't covered by my insurance, so I went with the other one. Good Luck! :bigp:

Unread post by riverdog » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:50 pm

I agree with Renee...doctors seem to have their favorites. My wife's doc was a big fan of the Medpor implant and that is the only eye he will use. I told him I had researched the bio-eye and he said he had used them in the past with sub-par results (higher infection rates). But who knows - others on this board have the bio-eye and are thrilled. So again, talk to your doctor and get second opinions if necessary. Gayle had her Medpor implant put in Dec. 7, 2005 and has had zero issues with the implant.

Best of luck - we are all here for you.