Implant or no implant

Types of implants and problems with implants.

Implant or no implant

Unread post by Guest » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 pm

I have been reading posts for several days off and on. I am a 53 year old female, who lost my eye when I was 5 years old. At that time, there was no such thing as an implant. I have been considering getting an implant, but after reading posts telling me about problems with exposure, infections, I am reluctant in pursuing the implant idea. My eye is not sunken in and the color is great, I just lack any movement. I would like some opinions as to whether it is worth it to get an implant. I would like some movement, but is it worth the trouble? I know that it is my call as to cosmetic reasons, but being a female we do want to look as good as possible. What do ya'll think?

Unread post by Marmalade » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:41 pm

To get an implant to move, they have to attach the eye muscles to it. In the case of someone who had their eye removed many years ago, this may no longer be possible. You might want to find out from a doctor whether the idea will float before you even consider it.

Impant or no implant

Unread post by Cyriss » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:06 pm

In my experiance My sugestion would also be to talk to the doctor about seeing if its posible first but I think having the movment would be nice. I slao think if it aint broke dont fix it but thats just my opinion

Unread post by Marmalade » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:34 pm

You also don't get as much movement with a secondary implant as first time around and that may be a consideration. I don't think mine moves much at all.

Unread post by Cyriss » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:31 pm

Mine has about the same amount of movment supriesingly

implant or no implant

Unread post by medictlc » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:49 pm

My implant was replaced 5 yrs ago because it has shifted. I have very minimal movement. My origional enucleation was 33 yrs ago and I had an implant then but had little movement. Most people don't even notice. I agree if it's not broke don't fix it.

Unread post by RHunter104 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 am

I think that you would need to go to an opthamologist (not sure if I spelled that correctly).