DISABILITY tax credit

General discussion and support forum. ***THIS IS THE MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM -- PLEASE POST ALL NEW POSTS (except new introductions) HERE!*** The other forums are primarily for archival use, except for the "The Moolooh Lounge" forum which is good for just about anything.

DISABILITY tax credit

Unread post by chillz911 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi I saw a post below re: DTC
Got me thinking.
Has anyone else managed to get this credit apptoved in canada?
I looked through the critereas and don't think I could get approved aside from having a glass eye and being a lol crazy I don't consider it an impairment in my day to day.
Would love to hear everyone's feedback

Re: DISABILITY tax credit

Unread post by MikePousson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Canada Revenue is getting real picky about who gets DTC. To get it, you need a lot more than missing one eye. There needs to be a more serious problem with your health. They just announced that people with Type 1 diabetes are no longer eligible. Go figure.
Left eye vision loss 2012 (accident), Enucleation 2015, Prosthesis 3/2015, another 10/2015

Re: DISABILITY tax credit

Unread post by Chris » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 am

I know that regarding being monocular as any type of disability, that's a very tough case! I finally gave in (40 years later) and realized that my medical situation was definitely steering my life, and I filed for SS Disability here in the States. I did it myself and was successful on the 1st try. They DID ask me for a ton of information (which I had) and it took about 6 months to complete everything. 1 year later I got on Medicare, which has been great.

Being that you're in Canada, there must be something you could do if you're truly disabled by being monocular. I hope you figure it out! We all should write books on this topic to help future people wondering about the same topic!
P.S.: The ONLY reason I qualified for my disability was because I still had the BB lodged in my socket and it caused daily pain to the point of my not being able to work. It got increasingly more painful each year.
F/56/Happily Married/enucleation 44 years ago- bb gun accident. Dr. Jasmina Bajric took out my OLD silicone bead implant + reached my bb and took that out. She's a true miracle! Dr. Slonim has found the best surgeon for me!